Fortunately the community is picking it up very well and are busy with creating a lot of awesome stuff so we all can continue with JavaFX. But, the news of the drop caused us thinking about technologies to use for our projects. We will continue using JavaFX as the primary UI framework to develop our clients with. Between the news that JavaFX support was dropped and the community continuing with the project I have been looking for alternative technologies. The result of this little search has become a little playground project which is a simple photo frame.
The photo frame
The photo frame is a Java application which reads a directory of photos in png and or jpeg format. It connects to the PiDome Server to show current time and date, weather information and if you have a device showing your room temperature also this information. The software makes use of the OpenGL implementation of the Raspberry Pi so the software runs quite smooth. Remember this is a kind of a playground project, so there is limited support for it, but available on the forum: http://forum.pidome.org/viewforum.php?id=20
As said, it is very simple. But because it is a playground project, and i will also using this myself there are a coupe of options built in you can define:
- By default it fades pictures, but you can change this to a random rotation option where random image tweens (image changes) are used in random combinations (i would suggest to use the Raspberry Pi 2 for this option).
- Images are shown in random order, when all images have been shown. The directory containing the images is reread again, so you can add and remove images at any moment.
- The used technology does not support progressive jpeg files, but the software does transform the images from progressive to non progressive, there is an option to replace the images in the directory so a new read of the specific file will be much faster and less memory intensive.
- There is a stand alone function so there will be no connection made to PiDome and you will have an ordinary photo frame without PiDome connectivity.
- You can change the runmode from photos to magicmirror. This removes all graphical items and only white text will be shown so you can put a monitor/display behind a privacy mirror or piece of glass with privacy foil.
- You can enable/disable the weather,clock,room temperature and logo.
Some test clips and photos
We have made some test clips. These are made on both a Raspberry Pi 1, and a Raspberry Pi 2.
First release clip:
Second release screenshot
The client will be expanded and improved over time so if it does not fit your needs now, it will maybe later, you can always place a remark about it on the forum (http://forum.pidome.org/viewforum.php?id=20), we will surely read it.
The download is available on Bitbucket at: https://bitbucket.org/pidome/pidome-photo-frame/